Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Monday Incident...

It has been a great weekend. Although I am on call almost everyday including public holidays, the weekends often bring lots of relieves to me, bringing my stress level lower despite having to meet more clients during those days. Although I am self-employed with no fixed office hours, the coming of Mondays sometimes brings me a little bluish mood.

Today (11th May 2009) is a Monday and the blue Monday Syndrome is a bit inside my blood. Life is full of surprises, life is very unpredictable. Mine is no exception…

My wife called around noon today while I was having a discussion with a client at a local coffee shop. Instead of talking to her, I decided to return her call after my discussion with my client. Less than 10 minutes later, I returned her call and learnt that someone tried to molest her while she was walking back to her parents’ home from the car park. With God’s blessings and care, nothing untoward happened to her but she was relating to me the incident, I could feel the blood boiling inside me. My associate who happened to be in the car with me at that time overheard the incident too.

I informed my associate who happened to be also my buddy that I was going to look for that guy because he is someone running a stall in that area and my wife recognized him. I planned to look for him myself but my associate insisted to join as going alone will be too dangerous. I ended up going to that place with two of my associates to locate the molester followed by my wife to identify him.

He was not around when we arrived but luck was on our side when we spotted him walking slowly from the old market towards the shops. I quickly confronted him. Even before I spoke, the molester stepped back upon seeing the four of us. He turned out to be a little retarded guy almost my age, or maybe younger. While confronting him, his mom appeared and got his father to speak to us. I couldn’t hold on to my anger and slapped the guy several times on his face, throwing verbal abuses towards him. The father finally appeared with a friend and apologized profusely, trying to explain that his boy is a little mentally unsound.

Despite his excuse, I slapped his boy a few more times on his face…

Mentally retarded, mentally unsound… these are no good reasons to give to wade of any wrong things one have done. There might be people who feel that it is not right for me to do what I have done today, slapping and hurling verbal abuses to the molester but if they were the victim, I am very sure there will do much more than that.

Can I go and rape and murder somebody and then claim that I am mentally unsound and be pardoned for the wrong things that I have done? No way, or I will be robbing every bank along the street and tried to ask for pardon by getting my parents to come and beg for mercy. I am not against ‘special’ people in this world. We can’t deny they do not want to be born that way and neither do any parents want their children to be like that. The fact is no matter in what kind of mental state one is, you can’t just go and do anything you like that might harm others.


After that incident, I was in dilemma, as whether it’s right for me to do what I have done. Should I just forgive and forget without inflicting my own punishment towards him. Somehow, I later felt that I have done the right thing. I was thinking maybe I should have punched the molester instead of just slapping him. It’s fortunate that my wife knows how to make complaints and point out the molester. What happened if the harassed is not an adult but a young child who doesn’t know her rights. She might just live in fear for the rest of her life. At least the bastard knows that it is wrong to do what he has done and let’s hope he will not repeat himself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment