Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dory Fish

There was once when I received an email from a friend, complete with pictures and descriptions about rearing the dory fish in Vietnam. The pictures and the details of how the people there rear dory fish are gross. Talking about injecting the fish with urine, feeding them with food which is not food, feeding them also with their own kind (comparing the mad cow disease where cows were being fed dead cows). In the email was also the pictures of where the fish was stored before they are being processed for sale.

It has been a concern for me before as my mom likes to buy dory fish due to its price and boneless features. No need to take out the bones or scales. Just defrost and cook them. Easy to prepare and tastes good. I asked mom not to buy Dory Fish anymore just for safety precaution. We are not really sure about how true it is the emails sent or the articles and blogs written about the production of the fish but somehow, it's not work a risk to take.

Until recently, there was a need for me to cook for one or two dinners and in need of protein, I decided to go to Ta Kiong, The Spring to get some fish for dinner. In nick of time, I rushed to the section selling meats and fish and finally put into my shopping basket a packet of frozen Dory Fish despite the reports that I have read about the fish. I was thinking, those are probably wrong reports else Ta Kiong won't be selling fish which is dangerous to health.



However, the more I thought of it, the more uneasy I became. I started again to surf the web for more information about the fish but not much information can I get about the safety of the fish except a few more blogs telling the same story about the danger of Dory Fish.

Thus, I decided to write an email to the staff at Ta Kiong who is in charge of the Frozen Food Section:



It has been a few days since I have sent Miss Andrea an email and she has yet to reply it yet. Yesterday (27th April 2009) I decided to send another short one expressing how grateful I would to have her prompt reply. So far, no replies from them yet. I start to wonder if they are hiding something or probably the internet is down and Miss Andrea does not receive my email.


What should I do next? Is Dory Fish really safe for consumption?

1 comment:

  1. hey dude, wow she really did not comment.. companies usually prohibit their staff from communicating and/or replying anything to the public.. it has to be from an official source..that could be the reason

    ReplyDelete